Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Collection of data from Primary school at Amdanga

8.8.2007
In North 24 paraganas, high literate rural block is Amdanga and least literate block is Sandeshkhali-1. At 8-30 a.m., our driver Ramesh reached at my house. Amdanga is in the Barasat subdivision.


It took half an hour to reach Barasat via new bridge. Mr. Biswanath Choudhury is the chairman of the district primary school council. I met him first. Due to strike of unorganized workers, very few cars were on the road. I took Mr. Choudhury from his residence. He is very nice, gentle, soft spoken and comprehensive person. He never requested me to see the permission letter though I insisted. From him, I understood that DPSC supplied many books to all the schools for establishment of library. They collected it from the Book sellers and publishers guild. Guild packed the books and sent them to differnt schools. In my questionnaire, I omitted library as in other places, I had not seen it. Mr Choudhury introduced me with Mr. Mondol, ASI. The council office is in the third floor of one sweet shop - Loknath sweets. Me and Ramesh Babu took kachuri and sweets from the shop and started for Amdanga with Mr. Mondol.



First, I reached at the Mirhati Junior Basic school. There are only 5 junior basic schools in Amdanga. H.M. by watching our jeep entering into the school compound came to receive us. H.M. is very gentle, kind hearted and well disciplined school authority. I like him very much. From here, I collected data through my questionnaire from 17 students (7 from class V and 10 from class Iv). I like small size of samples as I can manage them without any other's observer. The data set included followings :
1. Picture drawing and picture description
2. Socio-economic status
3. Attitude towards school infrastructures
4. Motivation to attend schools
5. Rate of absence
6. Subject wise examination marks


Next, I introduced myself with guardians. In the guardian meeting, I highlighted the followings:
1. Taking much drinking water
2. Taking fruits
3. How to increase comprehension power
4. How to increase memorizing power
5. How to make students more social and creative
6. How to motivate students to reading and writing


Guardinas are very happy. 4 male guardians and more than 40 female guardinas were in the meeting. These 4 male guardians were in business and husbands of most of the female guardians are cultivators.

During data collection, I examined the health by observing eye, face etc. It appears to me that most students do not drink much water and are suffering from anaemia. In the guardian meeting, guardians accepted my observation. It would be better to spend more time with guardians as they have many questions, but I was in hurry to meet the School inspector in the block office.

In the school, I suggested the followings to the Head master:
1. Introducing gardening
2. Involving students in preparation of teaching and learning materials
3. Introduction of wall magazine

In block office, I met Ms. Gayatri Saha. She was busy with some meeting at the block office. From the meeting, she came to attend us. She is also very nice and gentle. From her, I collected the followings:
1. Names of primary schools where in our jeep can enter;
2. Addresses
3. Names of contact persons and their phone numbers

She had shown the maps of Amdanga. Finally, I returned to ISI at 5-30 pm. Mr. Mondol got down at colony more.

At night, I conveyed my gratitude to Mr. Choudhury.

Few useful links :
1. North 24 pgs
2. Barasat
3. Census 2001 data

No comments: